Friday, October 31, 2008

Abilities

SO!! Yesterday was my first day to teach...ever! It was really fun. I taught for 3 hours, with about 3 minutes in between each class. I got such a diverse group of kids yesterday, it was amazing. My first class was a dream. They were attentive, they participated, didn't talk out of turn, loved the activity etc. I ran a little short of things to talk about, I was digging for information. So, my first attempt was good, but not great. My second class was interesting. They wouldn't talk at all. They way we teach each chapter is by discussion. We don't just stand at the chalk board and present information, we want to get the kids involved and have them be critical thinkers. It was hard having a discussion with a whole group of silent kids. It was good though, and I talked until the bell rang (that was my goal). The third class was really funny. They, unlike the second class talked, but unlike they first class they were not polite about it. They were really funny kids and it didn't bother me that they were so loud. I had to rein them in a few times, well actually a lot of times. They got off subject a bunch, but at least they were interacting. For my first time teaching I would say it was a sucess. I've never done this before, so I have some things to work on. I felt like I was a little disorganized with my information, but they got the point. The most important thing is that I had a blast doing it, it was really fun for me.
Then, last night we had our craft time with the ladies! I can not tell you how fun it was. I thought I had a lot of crafting supplies but I was totally wrong. Between all four of us you could not see my kitchen floor or table. We all had specific projects that we were working on, and we got the ideas out of this fun magazine. I'll have to get back to you with the name of it. I would love to tell you what I'm working on but I can't. It is a gift for someone, and that someone reads my blogs. Oh, and did I mention we all LOVE glitter! By the end of the night my kitchen table had glitter all over it, and still does. And as you are leaving or entering my house you will be greeted with glitter on my porch!
Yesterday was a great day.

5 comments:

  1. hooray i'm so glad you had a good time!! It's awesome that you enjoyed teaching, i would find it difficult lol.

    and also, hooray for crafts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the teaching! Sometimes I get silent adults when I coordinate our Wednesday night ladies' bible study at church. It's definately awkward. LOL This last week, I finally just said, "Look ladies, this is like Open Mic Night...I'm not a preacher, I don't have a degree, so Please Discuss!" ROFL I think that got to them, because we ended up discussing so much that I didn't even get through half my presentation! LOL But I'd rather have that happen than to get through everything with time to spare and everyone is just staring at me...because that's happened before too. Awkward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had time to do a craft night!

    Teaching is hard but at least you didnt have like 30+ first graders to corral lol

    -Shanna
    (open id hates me!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY!!
    I know you are going to be amazing at this. you have the passion to really impact "our" students:)

    I will continue to pray for you this school year. There are some amazing things that could/will happen if the students just "get it"!
    I think you will definitely open the door for "getting it"

    ReplyDelete