Friday, December 4, 2009

The land we love so much

When Kolby and I seriously started considering building a house we started looking for a place to build. We have always wanted to live out of town, but not too far. The idea of living out in the country is just so appealing to us. Not to mention we've been looking at houses for sale for a while now and can't find anything we like.
While browsing the reality websites we found a piece of land that we l-o-v-e-d! It's out in the country but in this little up and coming subdivision, the other houses are so cute too! I thought for sure this would be the place. On Monday I contacted the reality office to find out more information about it. The website said there were some restrictions, so I needed more details. I figured since it was in a subdivision it would have to meet some sort of size requirements etc. What I found out though really blew me away! There were multiple pages of restrictions...here are some of them:

- No more than three vehicles may be parked outside of the garage
- Must have at least 3 trees with trunk diameter not exceeding 2 inches, must be planted in the front
- All planning including landscaping must be approved by a board
- You may only have up to 2 domestic animals and non for breeding purposes

I mean the list goes on and on and on....I think it's a little overboard with some of the things. It's definitely not a right fit for us. I don't want to feel like I'm renting when I've purchased that land and built the house myself.
So the search continues!

3 comments:

  1. HOAs are like this is newer subdivisions unfortunately. Definitely don't look in a planned type community if you want to avoid this. Our last house was in one and the HOA had the power to dictate so much about what we did on our property, yet they did nothing in exchange for the dues we paid.

    Examples of things requiring approval: : painting your house a color other than the current color, landscaping modifications, putting storage shed on your property, the list goes on and on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boo - you definitely don't want that! You want the freedom to landscape as you choose & to put up a storage shed when you need one. Keep looking! You'll find the perfect spot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. those are crazy restrictions. you would have to pick and choose which of your friends you would want over and have them carpool there.

    ReplyDelete