Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Do not sin

I'm a big fan of Joyce, in case some of you didn't know that already. I love to read her devotions because I find that they really speak to me. I really get a message from every single one, and I thank God for that. This particular one struck me today, I really needed to hear it. This doesn't say "don't get angry" it says "when angry DO NOT SIN". I just feel like that is a validation to my feelings, not excusing them, rather saying "hey it's okay to get upset every once in a while, but you need to check yourself". There is also a part in there that says "if someone offends you, get over it quickly so you won’t leave open a door for the devil." Geez! How simple right? I wish... I don't like to think of myself as holding grudges, but I totally do. >Grudge Holder Right Here< well just so you know I am working on it! lol
But I want to share this with you all...

November 26

Cease from anger and forsake wrath; fret not yourself—it tends only to evildoing.
Psalm 37:8

The Word tells us another way to resist temptation: “When angry, do not sin; do not ever let your wrath (your exasperation, your fury or indignation) last until the sun goes down. Leave no [such] room or foothold for the devil [give no opportunity to him]” (Ephesians 4:26–27).

Paul said that we should forgive people to keep Satan from gaining an advantage over us (See 2 Corinthians 2:10–11). If someone offends you, get over it quickly so you won’t leave open a door for the devil. It is a sin to hold anger and bitterness, so never go to sleep mad. If you forgive everyone before you fall asleep, freedom from wrong attitudes in your heart will help you start your day right the next morning.


4 comments:

  1. too late!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    *bitter bitter bitter*

    I love Joyce too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an especially hard concept for someone who is non-confrontational by nature. It seems so much easier (read: cowardly) to hold it all in and think it will just go away than to go to the person who offended me and talk it out. It almost NEVER goes away on it's own...instead bitterness takes root, and the next step is "venting" which translates into gossip and then it just grows like Jack's beanstalk! LOL Trust me...I know from experience. I'm so glad that God is working on me in this area...I still don't like confrontation, but I'm learning that I get over the discomfort those types of conversations bring a lot faster than the discomfort I feel from just stuffing it down. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so true tiff! we have to make sure that we still watch our actions amongst our feelings of hurt and anger. We need to make sure we are responsble for our actions. believe me, I am a grudge holder too and am still working at it lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you know there is a Joyce Meyer Bible?

    http://www.amazon.com/Everyday-Life-Bible-Power-Living/dp/0446578274/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228143062&sr=8-1

    ReplyDelete