Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Really blown away

Kolby and I have Netflix, which is totally fabulous. We don't have cable or bunny ears, or a box or anything so Netflix really comes to the rescue when we are bored. Now some people can't believe we don't have TV and are in shock and always ask what we do with our free time... There are plenty of things to do for sure, and with the money we are saving from not having cable we can afford to do them. My dad is one person that really gives us a hard time about not having TV, he just can't believe it.
Anyways, I heard about this very interesting documentary that I really wanted to check out so during my lunch breaks at work this week I've been watching Food Inc. In the process of watching Food Inc and sharing that online someone told me about The Business of Being Born. I had to check that out as well! They both really changed my perception of the food/baby industry. I loved the wealth of information they provided and I feel compelled to change some things.
I don't want to be looked at as a hippie or an environmentalist or a naturalist or anything else. I just think the things they were talking about made sense and now I want a garden, and locally grown meat and a midwife instead of a doctor someday. If placing a stereotype on those opinions helps someone understand it, then I guess it's okay. I'm just the type of person that when I have information, I can't ignore it. If the facts say one thing, then I can't ignore it. I would check them out if you get a chance!

9 comments:

  1. Locally grown meat - you'll have to call big Stu there & make a garden at Cathy's. Abbie's big on the mid-wife idea too. I just don't think I could do it - if my baby had a problem - I'd want a team of doctors by my side to jump in immediately. Some of the problems they just don't know are there until birth. My best friends baby had a bad knot in its cord - freaked me out! Now natural childbirth - I'm fine with that - I prefer my epi, but I could do it if need be - I just want to be in a hospital. Now if you are doing a midwife in the hospital - heck yeah - Elly had one and loved her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it is a little scary, but I think I'd totally go with a midwife in the hospital, and I was reading about stuff today, I'm not sure if it's legal to do an at home birth in Illinois.. not sure though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is a totally fake baby, i'm convinced! i think it is illegal, but i think there are midwives in il and they just don't share their name. sounds random, but i'm pretty sure dr. m said something about it to us. and one time we were there someone was calling in b/c they had a home birth and they didn't want the baby's blood drawn and got in an argument about it over the phone. i'm not informed on the whole midwife thing, so i can't really say what i would do with the next baby. but i really liked my doc and he was very concerned about the health of my baby and me. he was not the kind to give up and grab the knife. and yes, i'm saying this after 30 hours of labor, i'll do it again in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh good Tiff - it's not really the mid-wife thing that freaks me out - it's the homebirths actually. I think a mid-wife would be fine in the hospital. I liked Sara Bush's birthing classes a lot - they were actually awesome - Jade was a great coach because of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. While you're on your documentary kick, check out, 'Born Into Brothels.' It's really good. Inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes the at home birth kind of freaks me out too. I'd rather have all of that junk cleaned up by someone else :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually, with mid-wives they generally do all the clean-up while you snuggle in with your baby in a place where you feel relaxed and at home...because...well...its at home. And as for dangers and problems, most midwives will actually end up getting you quicker care than when you are in a hospital unless the hospital always has an emergency ob team on call (most don't).

    Statistically, most women and babies are much safer in home births.

    As for food, I was just lamenting my desire for a real garden...so I feel you on both fronts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. when I saw the business of being born, after i got over seeing ricki lake naked, i was more aware and more excited for my birth process..

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL yes...I could have done without the nudity...can you not wear a shirt? haha I am more excited too!

    ReplyDelete